Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ancient Aztecs Pictorial literacies fit with the literacies in which I use today

I can relate the ancient Aztec forms of visual pictorial literacies to the literacies in which I use today such as dance, mathematics,and musical notes. The ancient Aztecs used pictures to communicate and understand and convey things instead of writing. Although another ancient group, the Maya as described in the Hill Boones writing use hieroglyphics, a more symbolic form of writing similar to the writing of those hailing from the Japanese culture, although hieroglyphics are similar to the pictorial system that the ancient Aztecs use, the Mayans form of communicating exclude this pictorial form of literacy.According to the Mayan code, the Mayans believe that "writing is speech put into visual form.I think that the Mayan statement is very true however, I don't think that their system should exclude the ancient Aztec pictorial system because I happen to think that in some way, shape, or form these literacies fit hand in hand. I think that that there is a point as the author suggested in the writing that you reach where it is necessary to use pictures to convey, show, or describe something, its just hard to understand or get the just of it in another format. She uses examples such as dance, the formation of composed musical works, and mathematics to make this point. These things I believe are better understood when put into a more visual format. You cant really explain or write down steps to teach someone how to dance or perform choreography at least that is not the most effective way, having performed dance routines a numerous amount of times I know that I would have not understood fully how to do a specific move or at least fully without being shown. I don't think it would have been as effective, not by a long shot. Same goes for musical notes, it is easier for someone to see in front of the them the musical notes on a staff and understand them rather than someone telling them. The same for mathematics as well, and I know from experience telling me and writing down directions on how to do a specific problem will get me half way to no where. I must visually see the mathematical signs and symbols and specific steps right in front of me. In no way am I excluding writing and Language from being an effective way of communicating it is just necessary for some things to be conveyed in a more visual format, especially for someone who is a more visual and kinesthetic learner as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment